Parish History – St Brigid’s Church, Kill
The name Kill comes from the Irish word Cill, meaning church. Today the Roman Catholic Churches of St Brigid and St Anne and the Church of Ireland Church of St John the Evangelist cater for the spiritual needs of parishioners in Kill Parish.
The Catholic Church was built in 1821 (engraved on church tower) and the old school was built in the church grounds and opened in 1829. The parish church in Kill is under the patronage of St Brigid, whose church, Cill Brighde, from which the parish took its name stood either on the site of or near the Protestant church in the village. A pathway called Boithrin Brighde led from the church to a well dedicated to St Brigid which was called Tobar Brighde and lies in the townland of Hartwell approximately half a mile from Kill. St Brigid’s well is very old and was once a place of pilgrimage. In former years a sally-tree stood near the well to which the usual votive rags were tied. Also there was an old church on the Hartwell Road, the gate to which was know as “The Old Chapel Gate”
Further information on Bicentenary celebration (1821-2021) page
Parish History – St Anne’s Church, Ardclough
The second Catholic Church in Kill parish is the church of St Anne in Ardclough. The modern church was opened in May 1985 replacing the previous church of St Anne which was built in 1810 beside the Grand Canal.
In former times, there were churches in practically every townland and the ruins of many are still evident today. These ruins include the churches of Lyons, Oughterard, Castledillon, Castlewarden, Clonoughlis, Forenaughts, Kerdiffstown, Johnstown, Haynestown, Bodenstown, Whitechurch and Sherlockstown.